namespace in the XML gnc-v2 tag proposal

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 19:15:26 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 23:58, Michael Vrable wrote:

> > Does this mean that (in theory) valid namespace dtd's need to be
> > at this URL? Cause they're not there now ...
>
> My understanding is that no, they are not.  The URL is used as a unique
> identifier, but there's no requirement that anything be located there.
>
>     Reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#dt-NSName
>
> Do some tools expect to find something there anyway?
>
> (Also, any reasons for all the cross-posting?  I tried to cut down a
> little bit, but let me know if I should have kept all those addresses in
> there.)

No, to Linas.  You could really use anything there.  Your organization's
URL is pretty much guaranteed unique as a namespace, and it appears to
be traditional to use it.  You can, however, put something at the URL
describing the namespace--it's purpose, contents, etc.

The main requirement is that it be unique.
--
Matthew Vanecek
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except me.