Command line reports?

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Aug 14 19:34:05 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 03:20:26PM +0000, Tony Bloomfield was heard to remark:
> I'd like to develop a simple application (preferably as a shell script, though
> Perl or QT would be other possibilities) which can pick up the current (or at
> least fairly recent) balance on a gnucash account.

This is a conversation for gnucash-devel not gnucash-user so I changed
the posting.

> On browsing the site, I see a mention of the possibility to run reports from
> the command line, though it suggests that this is now broken. Is this so? (I
> don't seem to be able to track down much documentation on command line
> options within gnucash).

I used to do this (and it used to be easy) by using the perl bindings to
the engine.   These are/were generated by SWIG.  I don't think its hard
to resurrect these.  There's even a few example perl scripts in there
somewhere.

The biggest downside was that I couldn't figure out how to convert
perl arrays to GLists's and back, and that made the perl API klunky to
use.