Virgin systems

Tim Thompson gnucash at timt.net
Fri Aug 15 14:57:46 CDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 05:21 am, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Tim Thompson <gnucash at timt.net> writes:
> > I've found a really good way to maintain virgin systems for building and
> > testing software is using VMWare (http://www.vmware.com).  I use it
> > extensively for this in my "day job".  You can set up virtual machines
> > with all the popular distributions.
>
> Aren't chroots enough for this purpose (building packages)?

That's probably good enough for building.  I've used VMWare for testing
installs and builds under multiple distributions, though.  That way I don't
have to have several spare computers always set up.  And it's *real* easy to
"rollback" to a known virgin state.  Takes quite a bit of disk space, though.

> Regards, Andy

- Tim