HUGE compling speedup

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Sun Aug 17 12:03:31 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 10:39, Christian Stimming wrote:

> On Sonntag, 17. August 2003 18:40, Jon Lapham wrote:
> > Could someone tell me again why we don't run "msgmerge" on the .po files
> > in CVSand save the merged files?
>
> Because the .po files are the sole responsibility of the translators. *They*
> should run "msgmerge" every once in a while. We shouldn't.
>
> > On my PIII800 a gazillion minutes of compiling GnuCash is spent running
> > msgmerge, every friggin' time I recompile.
>
> That's this stupid gettext/intltool/whatever version. Even running "msgmerge"
> on our own doesn't help, because the recompiling of the .po catalogs will
> happen after every single change any c code file. We had some discussion
> about this earlier. I ended up editing the po/Makefile.in.in file and
> commenting out the line where the INTLTOOL_UPDATE command is called. I think
> it was this one (commenting out is achieved by adding the 'echo' in front):
>
> $(POFILES): $(srcdir)/$(DOMAIN).pot
> 	@lang=`echo $@ | sed -e 's,.*/,,' -e 's/\.po$$//'`; \
> 	test "$(srcdir)" = . && cdcmd="" || cdcmd="cd $(srcdir) && "; \
> 	echo "$${cdcmd}$(INTLTOOL_UPDATE) $${lang}.po";
>
> This manual workaround has to be done every time when ./autogen.sh is called,
> i.e., on the stable branch probably seldomly.

I'm not quite understanding what you mean here Christian, if I'm
compiling a release and I want to cut down the compile times for testing
it I can comment out like above and it wont recompile the po files? I
would love to cut out the msmerge part of the process, as Jon said this
take ages and when I'm compiling multiple times just to make sure things
work as expected it is a pita.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit
	| / __> |  cause we are Metallica