RFC: online "Bank connect" (was: A Idea for GNU Cash -...)

Christian Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Mon Aug 18 19:52:08 CDT 2003

Hello!

On Thu Aug 14 16:41:22 CDT 2003, BenoitGrégoire wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the term "direct connect"... would that encompass
>> online banking support (integrated statement download, bill payment, etc)
>> here in the states?
>
>"Direct Connect" is Intuit marketspeak for what you just described.  The
>current level of functionality, If only we could just call gnucash directly
>from a webbrowser, is working "Web Connect".

This would be for the importing part, right? Or would originating transactions
from gnc be possible?

I've read your thoughts about online "Bank connect" enabled GnuCash with high
interest.

Most of you developers will probably know this is allready working for german
banks that support the HBCI standard. Thanks to the work of the OpenHBCI
library project and to Christian Stimming for coding the gnc module.

IMHO the current drawback for any form of "Bank connect" functionality is the
possible level of integration into gnc. That is why i had posted the idea of a
generic exporting framework for gnc. Unfortunately back than I accidentially
labeled it RFE instead of RFC.

An editable english translation of the ideas for a "generic-exporter" is
available at the bottom of the german gnucash wiki site:
Please check it out.

http://linuxwiki.de/GnuCash/WeiterEntwicklung

Comments and modifications welcome!

Christian