ANNOUNCE: Auto Cap Gains, alpha 1

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 28 13:47:12 CDT 2003

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> > Also, have you tested how the end-of-period feature interacts?
>
> Yes.  The bug-fixes in lots, and the cap gain support, is required
> in order to have end-of-period work correctly.  So I've been staring
> at that quite a bit.  But there may be some corner cases I haven't
> really thought of. Although I thought I had ...  Again, testing/test
> cases are needed.

Well, mostly I'm wondering if, e.g., paid/closed invoices get left
behind, and open invoices remain open?  How is data copied across
between new/old books?  Stuff like that...

> --linas
>
> p.s. I think most of this can be 'easily' back-ported to 1.8.x
> Although I would be concerned about making 1.8.x accidentaly
> unstable/buggy.

I'm not convinced we want to do this.  If anything I'd rather
make a 1.10 release branch off HEAD rather than back-port this
(and a lot of other changes) to 1.8.

> p.p.s. the new support should make it a lot easier to add things
> like depreciation, and to distinguish the diferent tax rates for
> long-term vs. short term cap gains.

Yep. :)