The Heart and Soul of GnuCash

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Aug 29 15:20:16 CDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> What's the core message that GnuCash emanates to the world?  Why
> would a potential developer want to become a part of gnucash, as opposed
> to becomeing a part of some other project?   Sexier technology?
> More recognition?  A worthier cause?

Potential developer and lurker here.

Why would I want to help with GnuCash?

- I hate Windows.  I hate Intuit even more after they forced me to upgrade
  to Quicken 2003 in April (or lose checkfree service).  I dread
  doing the accounting now where I used to love it.

- I know a lot about accounting.  I work for a small business that sells
  and services small business unix accounting software (larger businesses
  than the target audience of GnuCash and emphasizing operations -
  automatically generating accounting transactions from the
  operation of the business.  E.g., print UPS label, generate AP
  transaction for postage.)

Why haven't I helped with GnuCash very much?

- I hate LISP syntax.  The talk about SWIG and Python support has
  gotten my interest again.  I understand that having two or more interpreters
  required could be a bloatware problem.

- I have very little GUI experience.  I can't reasonbly help with the
  user interface.

The next step: start using GnuCash.

- Bite the bullet and cancel Intuit internet bill pay service,
  Get some paper checks, and start using GnuCash.

- Try to come up with an account structure that will work around the 1D
  accounting (no classes / departments / whatever you would call additional
  accounting dimensions in GnuCash they aren't supported last I checked).

--
			Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>
	"[Microsoft] products are even less buggy than others, in terms of