Freecoins conduit (again)

Will McDonald will at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 4 17:29:32 CST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:56:50PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Another thing to keep in mind is that if you DO use the GnuCash API, then
> you wont be able to run the sync command while you're running GnuCash.
> Either that or you'd have to make the conduit be a module and run it from
> a running GnuCash.

Ahh, more trickery! Makes sense, of course; the former seems like a good
starting point, the latter like a distant-future goal.

Out of curiosity, what are the impedements to making the engine
multi-access safe? I certainly believe you about the requirements, but
when I read about GnuCash being designed as a "stand-alone server", I
imagine it being network(/socket/fifo/whatever) accessible and allowing
atomic actions with any number of clients. Am I picturing the design
correctly, and if so, how far are we from that?

> Yes, a bunch of us.  I already mentioned #gnucash on irc.gnome.org --
> a lot of the developers hang out there (I'm just not on IRC right now
> because my disk crashed and I've spent the last three days working at
> recovering all my data).
Cool - I'll probably see some of you online tonight. ^_^

> Most of what you want to do is relatively easy..  Take a look at
> src/engine/*.h -- focus particularly on Account.h, Transaction.h,
> and the query headers (the name is dependent on whether you're using
> 1.8 or CVS Head).
> Look in src/engine/Transaction.h for the transaction (and Split) API.

Thanks, these are exactly the pointers I was looking for. I'm going to
jump into this tonight, and will keep you appraised of my progress.

-will

--
---------Will McDonald-----------------will at upl.cs.wisc.edu----------
GPG encrypted mail preferred. Join the web-o-trust!  Key ID: F4332B28