Import transactions change proposal

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Feb 8 17:44:41 CST 2003

Greg Stark <gsstark at mit.edu> writes:

> Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:
>
> > Then, of course, we need to improve the match mapper -- right now it
> > only matches on full-strings.  We would need to add logic to match on
> > partial strings,
>
> And on amounts and day of month, etc.

Uhh.. I guess it depends how much logic you can put into the
destination-account mapper.  The dest-account matcher doesn't really
have a lot of input -- you basically get the list of prior
transactions that were also imported and also mapped to the same
destination account.

Chris and I were talking on #gnucash about potentially expanding the
match mapper to use some sort of Bayesian filtering to determine the
destination account mapping.  However I'm not sure how such a system
would work -- or where the necessary databases would get stored (or
even what the databases would look like).

Adding in other information to the bayesian mix would certainly be
possible, once we come up with an architecture.  But you really don't
have a lot of information to work with when trying to choose a
destination account.

Note that this is _SEPARATE_ from duplicate detection.