gnucash files for SuSE 8.1 on sf

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 15 22:56:55 CST 2003

If we have space on sourceforge, we ought to use it.  Take a little of
the burden off of Linas for package download/storage purposes.

I don't know how you would go about verifying that package integrity.
MD5 checksums and gpg signing, certainly, for file integrity (these
should be required for package formats that support them--everything
supports md5sum. ;-P ).  There would need to be a certain amount of
trust involved, as well as clear and solid communication avenues, for
other system packages.

I like Chris's package naming convention.

Also, we should make a requirement that donated packages conform to the
File-system Hierarchy Standard (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ or
http://www.linuxman.com.cy/rute/node38.html).  This shouldn't be an
issue, really, and it will ensure that donated packages are installable
on any standard system.  Packages shouldn't be built to any one person's
personal predilections, but rather should be as standard as possible.

One of the testing parameters needs to be that the package gets
installed on a clean system--i.e., a system that doesn't have Gnucash
installed already.  I've installed too many packages over the years
where the packager munged the package but didn't realize it, because
he/she built/created/tested the package on the same machine.  Ximian was
notorious about that for a while.

That's my $0.02.  I'm not sure what to do about man-power, WRT
maintaining the sourceforge download/donation area.

--
Matthew Vanecek