accounting for stock trades

Ed Warnicke hagbard@physics.rutgers.edu
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 00:08:12 -0500

Ok, so let me try this again.  Each Split has an Account,
and Amount ( in the commodity of the Account ) and a Value,
which may be in some other commodity needed to balance the transaction.

A Lot is a collection of Splits with the same Account.  In the case of a
closed
Lot where the Values of all Splits in the Lot are in the same commodity,
the
realized capital gain/loss on that Lot is the sum of the Values of the
Splits in the Lot.

The unrealized capital gain/loss for an open Lot is the difference
between the Value of the
Splits in the Lot and the value at the current price of the Amount of
Commodity in the
Lot.

So how do you handle half open Lots like:

           Lot
           Amount        Value
Split->    100           500
Split->    -50           -500

how do you handle the realized/unrealized gain/loss for this.

Also, how do you handle situations where the Commodity of the Value is
different.
For example:

           Lot
           Amount        Value
Split->    100 AMD       500 USD
Split->    -100 AMD      -400 EUR

How do you handle the realized capital gain/loss for this Lot?

Also, how do you handle the issue of an account with two Lots like this:

           Lot1
           Amount        Value
Split->     50 AMD        250 USD

           Lot2
           Amount        Value
Split->     50 AMD        500 USD

I then sell 80 AMD in a transaction where the AMDAccount spit is

Split->    80 AMD   1600 USD

How do I apply this single split to the above Lots?  Do I split the Splits?
Combine the Lots?

Ed