accounting for stock trades

Ed Warnicke hagbard@physics.rutgers.edu
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 00:31:08 -0500

Derek Atkins wrote:

<snip />

>>Also, how do you handle the issue of an account with two Lots like this:
>>
>>           Lot1
>>           Amount        Value
>>Split->     50 AMD        250 USD
>>
>>           Lot2
>>           Amount        Value
>>Split->     50 AMD        500 USD
>>
>>I then sell 80 AMD in a transaction where the AMDAccount spit is
>>
>>Split->    80 AMD   1600 USD
>>
>>How do I apply this single split to the above Lots?  Do I split the Splits?
>>Combine the Lots?
>>

>You split the sale Split into two splits, one for each lot.

This troubles me.  I expect most people, most of the time, to use a FIFO
method
for handling flow of commodities into and out of their account ( ie most
folks
aren't going to think about Lots most of the time ).  By forcing them to
split their
Split to match the Lots isn't necessarily a good solution.  I suppose we
could
autosplit them for folks if necessary...

Ed