Automatic Saving

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:31:15 -0600

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:06:27PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> I'm not convinced it should be changed.

There are occasional messages about getting rid of 'all those damend
copies' that motiviate this discussion, at least in part.

Autosaving would potentially generate even more backup copies.

Would it be reasonable to change the scheme so that there are fewer
backup copies, that are auto-pruned? Or is this a bad idea?

> I like the fact that I can
> "exit without saving" and not have any data disrupted.  OTOH, I can

What if the autosave feature is optional?

> understand that people DO want to be able to have "interim saves" in
> case of a crash, in which case the user should probably be prompted
> whether to use the 'last-saved' or 'auto-saved' data.

Yeah, or whenever the 'normal' file is older than the autosave file.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>