Automatic Saving

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Jan 2003 16:53:26 -0500

linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> In gnotime, auto-save is combined with 'auto-backup' and 'auto-archive',
> as it were.  The file is saved, but so are copies that are a week,
> month, year old.

Actually, what I'd like to see in gnotime is the ability to specify
filenames.  I want to tell the app where the data file should live.
I don't like the fact that it assumes it lives in ~/.gnome/gtt-xml.gttml!
~/.gnome is for configuration, not data files (IMHO).

> (This needed in part because theere is no 'save' or 'open' menu item
> in gnotime, the idea there being that 'it just works', and to minimize
> the GUI complexity.)

EH?  You removed that functionality?  There is certainly a Save and
Reload in gtt-1.4 (although you have to specifically turn it on).
I acutally use the Save button a lot.

> I'd like to think this kind of 'archiving' feature is a stop-gap
> until things like todays slashdot story on the 'non-heirarchical
> document management system' becomes widespread and automates this
> kind of file-management issue for us.  I figure it might take years ...

Well, as a power user I prefer to archive my data when I want to
archive it.  But for that to work I need to be able to tell the
program what data file to open.

What I'd like is some way to archive the data but then reset it...
For example, I've already billed for everying in 2002, so I want to
get my numbers to restart.  OTOH I want to keep those old numbers
around so I can see them.  I suppose what I really want is some way to
mark the entries as "billed" (invoiced?) and then choose between only
showing me non-invoiced time, invoiced time, or all time.

I'd also like to see gnotime interface into gnucash's invoicing system
and customer management system.