multi-currency transactions

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:39:37 +0100

Derek Atkins wrote:

>>In a split in the stock/currency-account register, you see both the
>>split->amount *and* the split->value and the exchange rate. I was wondering
>>whether it is possible to design an "edit exchange rate" dialog with the same
>>editing options. Otherwise I totally agree -- it is not clear what the user
>>wants to change.
>
> I suppose we could pop up a dialog similar to what is done in the
> stock/currency accounts and ask the user?  I'd really rather not have
> to create yet another hidden column to store the price/to-amount flag.

Yes, maybe we should introduce this additional pop up dialog similar to
the stock/currency accounts, to ask the user what should be changed:
e.g. "What part of this txn should be recalculated:
o Amount in this account (edited),
o Exchange rate,
o Amount in the other account,
o Leave transaction unbalanced".

 From what Jan Nielsen wrote in his message, I think he also prefers an
exchange rate dialog where the amount can be changed too. However, since
you said this is really a PITA to implement, we should give it a try
with the additional pop up dialog. Maybe this is already enough to cover
all use cases.

>>I agree. The way the basic-cell view works is as expected. However, I'd be
>>even more happy if the from-amount (i.e. split->amount) can be changed in the
>>same "edit exchange rate" dialog as well.
>
> You CAN change the from-amount -- but you have to change it from the
> register.  As I said earlier, feeding changes back into the register
> is a PitA.  The Edit Exchange Rate dialog is meant to do just that --
> edit the exchange rate.  If the fact that it looks like the transfer
> dialog is making you think that it can/should do more, I can go create
> a new dialog with a much more limited UI.  I was hoping to be able to
> re-use the UI and code, but I will happily change that if you are too
> confused.

I'm not confused/over-expecting by the way it looks. I was expecting the
described "change both from-amount and to-amount in one dialog"
behaviour, regardless of how the current dialog looks. Now since you say
this is way too difficult to be done, well, I guess we might get along
without (but with the additional pop up dialog mentioned above). I
really know nothing about the internals of the register, so I guess I
trust you on the PitA question. :)

> Ok.  If that is what you want then I can do that.  I am not convinced
> it is the right behavior, but I certainly don't claim to be
> all-knowing.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get to this before Chris'
> 1.7.7 cutoff, but I'll try to make this change ASAP.

Thanks. We're not in a hurry right now, so I don't mind whether it's in
1.7.7 or only later in CVS. I guess I'll continue to use it for my
everyday data, and I'll let you know whether this works fine.

Christian