Problem building 1.7.6 from source RPM on RedHat 8.0 (was: GnuCash 1.7.5 never displays)

Hugh A.J. Kennedy hajk@oakweald.de
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:28:57 +0100

>Derek Atkins writes:
>
>There are RH8.0 RPMs available at www.gnucash.org..  Just download
>those and use them.  They should work just fine.
>
>The RPM maintainer is looking at this...
>
>-derek

RH8.0 comes with gnucash 1.6.x. I ended up wiping this with an “rpm -e” of
this and the old g-wrap to make sure my installation was clean.

First, I couldn't find the RH8.0 binary RPMs (the directory exists at
wnucash.org but was empty for me), the 7.0 RPMs do not work under 8.0, not
even the SRPM. I found, edited and installed g-wrap 1.3.4 (again, no working
rpm) with some help from here, updated my other packages with apt-get
(apt4rpm) to ensure that everything was consistent and no errors were
reported. After this, I could build and install the 1.7.6 tar ball using
./configure and make.

Note that RH8.0 is getting pretty big now, and it would certainly be helpful
if the problems with the RPMs could be fixed before 1.8.0 is released.

Hope these comments are helpful.

Hugh Kennedy