accounting for stock trades

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
06 Jan 2003 14:54:50 -0500

Herbert Thoma <tma@iis.fhg.de> writes:

> I think it is possible to enforce this type of balance if the stock account
> has also a currency like in GnuCash 1.6. But there were good reasons to
> change this ...

The problem is that there is no way to enforce it until you hit a
balance of zero.  Sure, you once you hit zero you can make sure that
the commodity and currencies are all zero.  But then you also have to
enforce that all transactions into the stock account have the same
common currency..  And that leads to all sorts of mess.

> I will be able to live with LOTs if the reports will show my realized gain/loss.

Thank you.  That was what I was hoping to hear. :)