gnucash 1.7.6, 1.7.7 start failed

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
06 Jan 2003 17:10:30 -0500

Vitaly Lipatov <LAV@VL3143.spb.edu> writes:

> I see strange behavior of gnucash versions 1.7.6 and 1.7.7.
> It fails when running:

The "checking sources" implies you are NOT running a 1.7.7 system.
Perhaps you have remnants of multiple versions lying around?  Are you
sure you ran a successful "make install" after "make"?

> (checking-sources)
> Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or
> server shutdown).

THIS seems to imply that your X server or window manager shut down on
the system..

> But if I copy /usr/share/gnucash from 1.7.5 version all works
> fine.

This is strange...

> Any suggestions?

Try removing all remnants of older versions of gnucash (1.6 and 1.7),
then installing 1.7.7.

What are the contents of /usr/share/gnucash after you install 1.7.7?

> With strace gnucash 1.7.7:
>
> access("/usr/share/gnucash/finance-quote-check", F_OK) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> access("/usr/share/gnucash/finance-quote-helper", F_OK) = 0

I find it strange that you have -helper but not -check; they are
both installed on my system.

> write(6, "\23\0\3\0\1\0@\3\27\1\0\0", 12) = -1 EPIPE (Broken
> pipe)
> --- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) @ 0 (0) ---
> write(2, "Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0"..., 78Gdk-ERROR **: X
> connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> ) = 78

This implies that some process or connection is dying..  You cut out
the place where fd 6 was opened, so I have no clue what it is.  But my
guess is that it's the connection to your X server.