CVS build problem

Rik Harris rik@kawaja.net
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:59:29 +1100

Did I miss a dependency change?  My last successful build was on 12
December and I just checked out today's CVS to make sure the bugs I've
reported are fixed in my environment.

straight after a fresh CVS checkout, I run:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/gnucash --with-ofx

(without the --with-ofx, I get the same result)

Which gives the output:

| Copying file po/insert-header.sin
| Copying file po/Makevars.template
| Copying file po/quot.sed
| Copying file po/remove-potcdate.sin
| Copying file po/Rules-quot
| Copying file m4/codeset.m4
| Copying file m4/gettext.m4
| Copying file m4/glibc21.m4
| Copying file m4/iconv.m4
| Copying file m4/isc-posix.m4
| Copying file m4/lcmessage.m4
| Copying file m4/lib-ld.m4
| Copying file m4/lib-link.m4
| Copying file m4/lib-prefix.m4
| Copying file m4/progtest.m4
|
| Please update po/Makevars so that it defines all the variables mentioned
| in po/Makevars.template.
| You can then remove po/Makevars.template.

Following these instructions makes no difference, the
po/Makevars.template file just comes back.  I think I got this message
in the past and ignored it because the build worked.

| Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
| You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
| Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.

I got a message like this in the past and (again) ignored it because the
build worked.  I'm using automake 1.4.  Do I need to upgrade to automake
1.5 to compile?

| You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
| ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.
|
| You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
| from the /usr/share/gettext directory into your package.
| It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure --disable-nls
| option.

I don't remember these messages, but I might be wrong.

| Making ./aclocal.m4 writable ...
| Running intltoolize ...
| patching file po/Makefile.in.in
| Hunk #1 FAILED at 34.
| Hunk #2 FAILED at 86.
| Hunk #3 FAILED at 171.
| 3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file po/Makefile.in.in.rej
| Running aclocal  -I macros ...
| Running autoheader...
| configure.in:69: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
| configure.in:77: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
| configure.in:213: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
| configure.in:232: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
| configure.in:972: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
| Running automake --gnu  ...
| automake: intl-scm/Makefile.am: not supported: source file `${srcdir}/guile-strings.c' is in subdirectory
| **Error**: automake failed.

Maybe I do need automake 1.5?  It worked with 1.4 last month.

Also, 'cvs update' seems to have reverted some files to previous
versions.  When I did the fresh CVS checkout, I got ChangeLog with an
entry from 2003-01-07, but after 'cvs'update, it had removed the
2003-01-07 entry and the last one was 2003-01-05.  I use either 'cvs
update -Pd' or 'cvs update -CdRP'.  I'm familiar with CVS, having used
it on several projects, but I'm not an expert.  Am I missing something?

thanks,
rik.