CVS build problem

John Pierce john@killterm.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:44:27 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Rik Harris wrote:

> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:59:29 +1100
> From: Rik Harris <rik@kawaja.net>
> To: gnucash-devel@lists.gnucash.org
> Subject: CVS build problem
>
> Did I miss a dependency change?  My last successful build was on 12
> December and I just checked out today's CVS to make sure the bugs I've
> reported are fixed in my environment.
>
> straight after a fresh CVS checkout, I run:
>
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/gnucash --with-ofx
>
> (without the --with-ofx, I get the same result)
>
> Which gives the output:
>
> | Copying file po/insert-header.sin
[snip]
> | Copying file m4/lib-prefix.m4
> | Copying file m4/progtest.m4
> |
> | Please update po/Makevars so that it defines all the variables mentioned
> | in po/Makevars.template.
> | You can then remove po/Makevars.template.
>
> Following these instructions makes no difference, the
> po/Makevars.template file just comes back.  I think I got this message
> in the past and ignored it because the build worked.

Unless you're modifying the build system and specifically things relating to
building the language tools this is safe to ignore.  That message is
intended for maintainers running intltoolize for the first time.

> | Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
> | You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
> | Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.
>
> I got a message like this in the past and (again) ignored it because the
> build worked.  I'm using automake 1.4.  Do I need to upgrade to automake
> 1.5 to compile?

Automake 1.4 is ok for now.  See below.

> I don't remember these messages, but I might be wrong.
>
> | Making ./aclocal.m4 writable ...
> | Running intltoolize ...
> | patching file po/Makefile.in.in
> | Hunk #1 FAILED at 34.
> | Hunk #2 FAILED at 86.
> | Hunk #3 FAILED at 171.
> | 3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file po/Makefile.in.in.rej

Don't worry about those rejects.  Some versions of intltool and gettext
don't play nice together.  That patch failing is omitting broken rules for
updating the po files.  Its ok, perhaps even intended :)

> | Running automake --gnu  ...
> | automake: intl-scm/Makefile.am: not supported: source file `${srcdir}/guile-strings.c' is in subdirectory
> | **Error**: automake failed.

Now that one IS my fault :)  I'll post a patch to -patches shortly.

> Maybe I do need automake 1.5?  It worked with 1.4 last month.

Technically automake 1.5+ is required for intltool.  However, since the
parts that need it don't actually get targets generated for them its not a
problem, yet.  Automake 1.4 is fine for now.

John..

--
John H. Pierce            |
john@killTERM.com         |  See http://www.pyrotechnics.com/~hawkfan/