Transaction balancing

Chris Morgan cmorgan@alum.wpi.edu
Mon Jan 20 22:27:44 CST 2003

Just started using gnucash, thought I would try to contribute and I had a few
questions.

After importing savings/checking/credit card accounts I'd like to go back and
balance the transactions.  I noticed two things:

- In the register window if I click on a transaction that isn't balanced I'm
completely unable to switch to another transaction without manually balancing
it, letting gnucash add a adjusting split or adjusting the current account
total.  It would be nice if instead the transactions were color coded and
this window didn't pop up by default.

- If I do want to balance a transaction there doesn't appear to be any easy
way to do so.  A simple algorithm to search for transactions in other
accounts with the same amount on the same day could do most of this
automatically, for more complex balancing it would be nice to be able to
search through and highlight the transactions that balance the current one.
I liked the auto transaction balance feature during the import although it
gives full bars to most every transaction and lists several, I had no idea
what it was going to do by default, it looked like it was going to use all of
the transactions it found to balance the imported one and listed several.
Again, matching with amount/date would be nice.

- During importing there is no way to group accounts by the imported
informatin provided.  Eg. "Mobil" would be a good search term by which all
entries could be mapped to Auto->Gas or the user specified account.  Some
kind of autodetection seems not so difficult.

Ideas?  I was looking for something relatively small since I'm very unfamilar
with the codebase, I wouldn't mind helping out in implementing one of these
things if someone could lend some guidance.

Thanks,
Chris