architectural issue with gnc-numeric

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Tue Jan 21 12:44:10 CST 2003

--=-YS25vcXXf0d4l+uS42bl

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 13:40, Derek Atkins wrote:
> However, I'm wondering (for historical reasons) why we chose to
> represent numbers as fractions rather than, say, a fixed-point
> notation?=20=20

(1) We weren't sure at the time exactly what the future needs would be
with respect to commodity quantities and prices, and (2) the
implementation of rational math was very little more complicated than
fixed-point would have been.

If I had to do it again knowing what I know now, I'd probably use
fixed-point.  Live and learn :)

Thanks
b.g.

--=-YS25vcXXf0d4l+uS42bl