Transaction balancing

Benoit Grégoire bock@step.polymtl.ca
Wed Jan 22 00:03:41 CST 2003

On January 21, 2003 05:20 pm, Chris Morgan wrote:

> It does, my beef is mostly with balancing AFTER the importing.
>  If I try to balance credit card debits and I have yet to
> import my checking or savings account then why bother?  Thats
> why it makes sense to have an autobalacing feature that you
> can run at any time.

No, it doesn't.  You are supposed to enter your transactions in one of two
ways (assuming there is an import involved, with the ofx/hbci importer).

1-  You are a "Do everything daily" kind of guy.  So you write a GnuCash
transactions everytime you write a check, spend money, etc.  Say you spend
40$ on your credit card at "Overpriced Restaurant".  When you come back or at
the end of the week when you get rid of all the receipt in your wallet, you
enter a 40$ transaction from "Credit Card" to "Expenses->Restaurant", or
whatever.  At the end of the week, month, year or whenever, you download your
credit card statement.  The importer will spot duplicates (with a confidence
level) and by default mark them as cleared.  Transactions you forgot will
proably not match, and the importer will have an inconclusive match or
consider them as new and treat them like in the next case.
2-  You are an "Do everything at once kind of guy".   You don't write your
transactions as they occur, instead you download your statement at the end of
the month.  Now the importer should find that all transactions in your credit
card are new (except maybe payments, if you imported your checking account
prior to your credit card account).  The first time, all transactions will
say "Need an account to Auto-Balance xxx$".  You pick an account for each
one.  In the caase of the 40$ we talked about, you select
"Expenses->Restaurant" (the importer already knows it's coming from "Credit
Card").  Now the next month, you don't learn and go to  "Overpriced
Restaurant" again.  Assuming your bank give you a minimum of info
electronically, the importer will remember that a transaction at "Overpriced
Restaurant" from account "Credit Card", goes to "Expenses->Restaurant".  All
transactions are already cleared at this stage.

In both scenarios, all transactions are balanced, in the exact same accounts,
at creation time.
--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/