Stock trades and realized gains/losses

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Jan 22 13:30:16 CST 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:49:53PM -0800, Ross Boylan was heard to remark:
> If it is true that the total holdings are stored somewhere, it still
> strikes me that the problem is that a model that is sufficient for
> cash (namely, a number denoting total quantity) is not sufficient for
> stocks.  For those you need a richer model, one including basis and
> acquisition date (slightly more general concepts than cost and
> purchase date).

This and other concerns are addressed by the 'lots' device.  See
src/doc/lots.txt for details.

Lots are partially implemented: they're in the code, they work, but
the gui interfaces to manage them have not yet been implemented.
Books cannot be fully implemented until lots are implemented first.

--linas