Budget support info [and 2.0-features, generally]

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Jan 26 11:47:45 CST 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:53:20PM -0500, Dale Miller wrote:

| I have read all of documentation I can find including cvs to try to find
| any status of where the budgeting work mentioned in the Plans for the
| future doc and could find nothing. So my question is is there any work
| being done to put some sort of budget tracking into gnucash? That is the
| only thing I need that I can't find in gnucash. Thanks for any
| information you can provide.

No, there isn't any budgeting support in GnuCash at the moment; 1.8 is
scheduled for a 2/5 release, and will not include such a feature.

If someone steps up to the plate, budgeting could [and should] make it
into 2.0 ... I had been hoping to work on it for quite a while, but
scheduled transactions have taken all that time.

Luckily, some pieces of the Scheduled Transactions effort [including
the fact that users can create scheduled transactions, let alone the
UI/engine frequency specification and some of the supporting UI code]
will be directly applicable to a budgeting subsystem.

I doubt that I will have any free time to work on such a thing until next
fall at the earliest, but I have thought a lot about how it should work, and
would be happy to bounce ideas around regarding design and implementation.
We should have a 2.0-kickoff thread [scoping and planning] soon after
1.8.0's release.

...jsled

--
http://www.asynchronous.org - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`