Budgeting in GnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 27 13:01:26 CST 2003

"Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul at umr.edu> writes:

> > FWIW, if no one steps up to the budgeting subsystem in the
> > next 9 months,
> > I was planning on writing it in scheme at that point.
>
> Maybe if I get in the mindset to sit down long enough to figure out
> where to start.

Well, there are plenty of people here and on #gnucash willing (and
happy) to help.

> If someone more familiar with the code would be willing to build in the
> capability for some sort of "external" report type that would get the
> account xml data passed on stdin, and return the html report on stdout,
> I'd definately be willing to contribute some more reporting
> capabilities.

LOL.  You are assuming that your data is available in an XML format.
That's a bad assumption.  Read: Postgres or RPC or Network Backends!
There is no guarantee that the data you need will be cached in the
engine at the time your report is run.  Therefore, the report
necessarily needs to interact with the backend to pull in all the data
it needs.  Ergo, the report cannot be "outside" gnucash.

> > Note that Scheduled Transactions can enter transactions into the books
> > in advance, if you configure it that way.
>
> Every time I've tried to use them in the past, I've had more trouble
> than it was worth, and not enough time to sit down and figure out if
> it's something I'm doing screwy or whether it's something gnucash is
> doign weird.

My guess is a bit of both.  The "balancing" rules on SXes are a little
strange, IMHO, and certainly they act different than what I expected
the first time I used it.  OTOH, I haven't played with it for a while,
so Josh may have fixed my issues.