assets and loans guide

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Sun Jul 6 19:23:36 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 19:43, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Quite a lot of work has gone into the documentation, over the years, and
> it's more than a little irritating if the "problems of lack of good
> documentation" are merely the result of ignoring what was already there.

Its easy to sit on the sidelines and snipe/accuse others when you are no
longer contributing actively too though isn't it? I didn't notice you
contributing either advice that your documentation was available or
offering to update it for newer GnuCash builds when I stated quite
clearly I was working on this and asking for help. If you want to make a
contribution please refrain from saying others don't know what they are
doing.

> Presumably it should be somewhere in CVS, unless people have taken to
> the habit of flushing perfectly good documentation down the toilet in
> favor of a succession of people rewriting it over and over again from
> scratch.

As you well know, CVS is a system that preserves old changes. It would
take someone actively going in and removing manually the directories
from CVS to completely remove something, and even then its still
available in older tarballs. As has been previously discussed here,
sometimes documentation relating to very old versions becomes worse than
even the little usefulness it had by describing older versions as it can
confuse users as to the tasks it is describing and that is even if it
described that thing properly in the first place. Removing older
versions and rewriting them, like code, is sometimes necessary in order
to keep the document coherent and useful for the user. Like a software
version upgrade, sometimes useful 'features' or documentation can get
dropped in this process. This doesn't mean that its being deliberately
ignored but just that they may plan it for the future and indeed often
not get around to doing it.

Chris if you have something useful to contribute please do so without
sniping at the other developers.
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit
	| / __> |  cause we are Metallica