RFC: Chapter 8 Tutorial/Guide (depreciation, cap gains)

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Jul 11 10:58:14 CDT 2003

James Leone wrote:
> I have general comment about the term "asset appreciation."  Realizing
> that we have an international user base, I favor the use of an
> intenational accounting jargon.  However, I feel I should mention the
> jargon used in the U.S. should there be a chance that it is also used
> elsewhere rather than asset appreciation.
>
> Although I have never heard the term used in the U.S. as a licensd
> professional (CPA), I do think that it is a logical description, moreso
> then the term Capital Gains.  But I don't generally expect to see the
> term asset appreciaiton anywhere.

Hello James-

Let me explain my logic for using the term asset appreciation.  (now,
whether this logic is correct, I do not know )

For me, I see "asset appreciation" as the concept of an asset you own
increasing in value.  For example, you suspect that a painting you own
has increased in value from when you bought it.  Thus, *theoretically*,
you have asset appreciation.  However, tax laws do not concern
themselves with asset appreciation.  They want cold, hard numbers, which
can only occur when you sell the asset.  At that moment, this nebulous
"asset appreciation" becomes the IRS's "Capital Gains".

Does that sound right?

Thus, the reason why noone ever talks about asset appreciation, is
simply because in the context of accounting, it doesn't need to be
tracked (since it isn't taxed).  This is opposed to depreciation, of course.

In terms of using international terms... I would say it is probably
better to use the terms specific for each country.  Why?  Well, the help
files can always be translated.  Here in Brasil, it is similar to the
US.  "ganho de capital" is the term, noone uses the equivalent of asset
appreciation either.

So, maybe what I should do, is try and use the term "capital gains"
whenever possible.  Maybe only the intro to the chapter should mention
asset appreciation, but thereafter use capital gains.

> I also have a general comment about when it is accounted for in the U.S.
>
> In general, U.S. accountants do not revalue assets to fair market value.
> However, there is one exception, and that is securities for sale on the
> open market.
>
> When stock with a readily determinable fair market value goes up in
> value, we call that unrealized appreciation. There is not much more that
> we account for here as far as Unrealized appreciation is concerned.

So, is there any tax implications to unrealized appreciation?  Or, is it
tracked only so you know the potential value?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil