gnucash-perl

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Jul 23 00:05:36 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 02:34:20PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:
>
> > Derek Atkins wrote:
> > > A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) there existed a set of
> > > PERL bindings to the gnucash engine.  Using swig, one could compile
> > > the bindings and write perl apps directly.  Through the course of time
> > > (and lack of a maintainer) these perl bindings fell into disrepair...

Actually, they worked fine last time I tried them.

They just got taken out of the makefiles/distro for some vague reason.

> > Oh, I see.  My idea is something *much* less ambitious, read-only
> > access to the data.  Should be fairly trivial to keep current, since
> > the data file is in XML and I'm trying to write the perl module
> > assuming no prior knowledge of the data structure (not totally
> > possible, but close).
> >
> > I'll post when I have some working code.

The old swig-based perl bindings could read and write.

The only problem with them is I couldn't figure out how to make swig
turn a perl @ array into a GList and back again, making it hard to
work with the functions that returned glists.

> Well, keep in mind that the long-term plan is to move away from XML
> as the data file format, so honestly your time is better spent trying
> to resurrect the swig bindings if you really want/need PERL bindings.

I would agree, the swig bindings were flexible, powerful.

> Or perhaps you can figure out how to do what you want using guile?

I also agree, scheme is a bit mind-bending at first, but thats' good.
Widens you perspective of what's possible in computing.  There's
much, much more to life than c/perl-like langs.

--linas