mini-announce: D-Bus

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Jul 23 00:10:56 CDT 2003

FYI,

Relevent to the earlier sql-event discussion we had...

--linas

----- Forwarded message from Sriram Ramkrishna <sri at aracnet.com> -----

From: Sriram Ramkrishna <sri at aracnet.com>
To: Linas Vepstas <linas at linas.org>
Cc: desktop-devel-list at gnome.org
Subject: Re: desktop-devel-list digest, Vol 1 #1510 - 3 msgs

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:37:52AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 12:00:16PM -0400, desktop-devel-list-request at gnome.org was heard to remark:
> >
> > Subject: Re: reading "Disks" without logging off
> >
> > Bleah.  We need a system that figures out changes in the system.  Once we
> > get a good system message bus we can have nautilus watch for such events so
> > that it can reload automagically without all these silly tricks.
> >
> > I think it's obvious that nobody should be doing these sort of things to get
> > an active view of their resources.
> >

> Well, there's FAM 'file alteration monitor' which works OK for this
> purpose.  This should cover 80% of the cases.
>
> I don't know of any sort of generic event-subscription daemon, though.
> It would be nice (I've needed this for multi-user gnucash) to have
> a daemon that will re-distribute events generated by apps.

dbus might actually work.  http://www.freedesktop.org/.  It's a generic
message bus system where you could either have two applications talking to
each other or you could have a system bus type configuration where things
like USB events or FAM events could be put on the bus and participating
clients could react to events they see there.

The API is not stabilized but they are looking for feedback.  So it's
a good way to put your 10 bits in.

Thanks,
sri

----- End forwarded message -----