Questions about CVS

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed Jul 23 12:03:54 CDT 2003

Christian Stimming wrote:
> I directly work inside the CVS checkout directory.
>

>>When compiling, do you compile within the CVS checkout directory?  (I
>>ask because cmpiling makes a bunch of new files, which I imagine we want
>>to keep out of CVS).
>

> As Nathan Neulinger already mentioned, the generated files won't affect CVS
> until you explicitly 'cvs add' them. And you can get rid of the warnings by
> adding the to-be-ignored files to the .cvsignore file in each directory.

Oh, yes, I see.  Great, so it seems it is much simpler to simply have a
single set of files.  This helps a lot, thanks.

> The only common problem here is that people easily forget to actually add new
> necessary files to CVS. The file exists locally, so their local compile will
> run without errors. But if they forget to add e.g. a new foo.c file to CVS,
> other people will run into the missing file errors after they updated their
> CVS copy. So usually it's not the problem that too many file make it into CVS
> accidentally, but rather too less :-)

Yeah, I guess occasionally you could check out from scratch and make
sure everything looks right.

> You can change the directory name of the top-level directory to everything you
> want -- you don't have to keep this to be "gnucash". So I have one source
> tree under the top-level directory "gnucash-HEAD" and another one in
> "gnucash-1-8" and another one in "gnucash-gnome". Simply checkout the
> appropriate branch and rename the top-level directory accordingly.

Perfect.

-Jon

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil