bug 116546

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 29 15:53:34 CDT 2003

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:06:44PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> > Sorry, but it's very hard to get used to.  "1 > foo" just isn't
> > intuitive to about 99% of the programmers out there (including me).
>
> Surely, its no harder than getting used to it the other way around?

But that's not how I think about it.  I think "is foo less-than 1",
not "is 1 greater-than foo".  I would bet that most other programmers
think about it this way, too.

> I visuallize a real-number line.  Negative numbers on the left,
> positive on the right.   The thing you are comparing to in the middle.
> Which side is it on?  Its a trick I learned in grad school, beats
> the pants off the grade-school dictum of 'you just subtract and
> compare to zero', which always lead me to confusion and errors.

Huh?  I've never heard of either the "subtract and compare to zero" or
any other tricks.  When I learned about comparing numbers I always
learned it on a scale as well.  But that doesn't change how I think
about programming (see above).