Multiple books in file backend?

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 23:36:49 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 21:39, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Anyone have any opinions about the right way that books
> & sessions & backends should be associated?  I have to be
> able to handle saving (and eventually opening) multiple
> books.  If no one cares, I'll just invent something,
> otherwise, now is the time to speak.
>
> --linas

My understanding of the way it should work (in theory), is that a
session represents a slice of time during which GnuCash is up and
running.  A session can operate on multiple books from multiple backends
(albeit not simultaneously).  A file backend would necessarily separate
'books' into different files (where a single book could contain 1:N
Periods, with the largest Period traditionally being a financial year
and representing the scope of the book).  This of course creates more
work for the user: "Close the books for 1999? (yes) Enter File Name for
Old Data: (1999.xac)".

An SQL backend creates other possibilities, and much of the work of
remembering file names is removed from the user: "Close the books for
1999? (yes) Books Closed!".

In either case, a new account tree must be created that duplicates the
original account tree, that is used to populate the new book with
(which, I believe, is already implemented).  Account balances, etc., for
asset/liability/whatever accounts need to be moved over...but you
already know that, so I'm just rambling...

I would also like to point out that someone (I think you) mentioned that
closed books should be uneditable.  There should be a (configurable)
time period during which edits to closed books are allowed.  The company
I work for (and most others, I imagine) have a time period after a
period close during which journal entries, etc., are finalized.  Just a
thought/suggestion...

--
Matthew Vanecek
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except me.