Latest AP, AR, and Payroll Documentation

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Thu Jul 31 10:18:49 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Ok, I've finally decided to read through what you've got.  If you
> don't mind I plan to comment on some grammar and spelling as well
> as conceptual issues...

I will only respond to parts where I have questions.  If you don't see
something, I made your recommended change.

> Actually, I'm wondering how much of 11.1 belongs in a "Overview of
> Business Features" rather than an introduction to Accounts Receivable?

Yup, I agree.  The master plan that has been brewing in my head is to
one day to separate the User Guide into a Personal Finance Guide and
Business Finance Guide (we can talk about that later).  This is the kind
of text that would be a nice intro.

Anyway, I made a new section in chapter 11 entitled "overview of
business features".  Yeah, it still doesn't belong there, but it isn't
worth the trouble of making a new chapter for it.  At least it is
separated from the "Concepts" to chapter 11 now.

> 11.5.2:
>
> You have:
>
>    Tax Table (optional) - this is a popup menu of all the available
>    tax tables. If you set the item as taxable and set that the tax has
>    not been included in the unit price, then this tax table is used to
>    compute the amount of tax.
>
> The first part is correct, however the latter part is not.  The
> taxtable is used regardless of the 'taxincluded' status.  The only
> question is whether the tax is on top of or included in the value of
> the line.  For example, if I say that there is 1 item of $100 with a
> tax of 5%, if taxincluded is empty then subtotal = $100 and tax = $5,
> whereas if taxincluded is true, then subtotal = $95 and tax = $5
> (basically).

I said "this is a popup menu of all the available tax tables.  If you
set the item as taxable [and set that the tax has not been included in
the unit price,] then this tax table is used to compute the amount of tax."

I think it works if I simply delete the text between the []s?

Then, I can move you tax included explanation to the tax included item.

Well, take a look at the new version, let me know what you think.

> 11.5.4:
>
> You say:
>
>    Before you can edit a preexisting invoice, you will need to unpost it.
>
> This is true only if you want to edit a pre-existing, POSTED invoice.
> You do NOT have to post the invoice until you are ready to print it
> (indeed, you SHOULD NOT post the invoice until you are ready to print
> it).

Changed note to say:
Before you can edit a preexisting posted invoice, you will need to
unpost it.

And I changed the earlier text:
When you have finished editting an invoice, you must Post the invoice.
Posting an invoice will place the invoice transactions into an accounts
receivable account.  The Post Invoice window will appear asking you to
enter the Post Date, the Due Date, a Description, and Post to Account
(from which you can select from a list of A/Receivable accounts).

to:
When you have finished editting an invoice, and are ready to print, you
must Post the invoice. You do not have to post the invoice immediately,
and in fact you should only post the invoice when you are ready to print
it.  Posting an invoice will place the invoice transactions into an
accounts receivable account.  The Post Invoice window will appear asking
you to enter the Post Date, the Due Date, a Description, and Post to
Account (from which you can select from a list of A/Receivable accounts).

> 12.5.2:
>
>    Invoiced? (unedittable) - X means the item has been invoiced, ???
>    means the item has not been invoices (Derek?)
>
> See what I said about this in AR..  Honestly, this column can probably
> go away from Bills, as it's not useful there (there is no "vendor
> order" or anything.

Okay, well, until it is removed from AP, I just copied the comments from
AR.

BTW, removing some of these columns in the AP and AR item lists would be
great, if possible.  The second biggest complaint I get from the person
using GnuCash for AP/AR every day at my company is that there is too
many "things" in these lists.

> 12.6:
>
> you ask:
>
>    Owner Info - Billing ID - ??? Derek?.
>
 > See my answer for invoices

I added the invoice text:
"the customer's reference to this job (e.g. their PO Number).  It's the
Billing Identification that they require on your invoices to them."

Correct?  Or do I need to change any "customer"s to "vendor" ?

>>Payroll:
>>http://www.jandr.org/temp/gnucashdocs/chapter13.html
>
> 13.3.1:
>
> You say:
>
>    Include definitions and formulas for calculating each value.
>
> This isn't a complete sentence..   What exactly do you mean?

It should have been connected with the previous sentence.  It is the
result of a Cut/paste problem.

"The first step to the payroll protocol is to create a list of all the
possible taxes and deductions for each employee, which should include
definitions and formulas for calculating each value."

> Enjoy!

Thanks!

The latest changes are up on the web site, and committed to CVS.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil