stock thoughts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 31 12:06:11 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > "Word"  (patch is in 1.8 CVS now)
>
> Derek-
>
> What will happen when someone tries to open a GnuCash file saved from
> v1.8.5 (using a stock asset split transaction with 0 shares) into an
> older 1.8.x version of GnuCash?

It will load just fine; it will save just fine..  I tested this to be
sure ;)

It will show a "1" in the price column (instead of 0) but it should
be fine otherwise...  Unless you try to edit it.

> I just tried it, using v1.8.1, and it *looks* okay, meaning I can
> still see the split transaction okay.  But, is there any possibility
> of data loss upon resaving?

As I said, resaving will be fine.  There will only be data loss if you
try to edit one of the transactions with 0 shares.  If you do try to
edit it, it will reset the shares and value to something "strange".
Indeed, if you even _enter_ the split with 0 shares, you wont be able
to get out of it (except by hitting the "cancel" button).