Record a sale of stock

Fabien COELHO fabien at coelho.net
Mon Jun 2 14:19:09 CDT 2003

> However, it seems to be lacking in one area.  Consider buying and
> selling stock. I buy $100 of stock, so I transfer $100 from my bank
> account into a stock account that is using a particular commodity (that
> I defined). Now suppose that the price of that commodity increases so
> that my investment is now worth $200. I can now sell the stock by
> transferring $200 out of that stock account back into my bank account.
> And just like that, my books are no longer balanced. Gnucash has allowed
> me to increase my assets by $100 without recording any income.

This is a long-standing issue raised quite often.

My understanding is that

(1) The report generation should take care of the accounting of
commodities related incomes/losses, but it lacks some information on how
to do it, information that should be provided by a "lot" management (a lot
is a group of related transactions on a given commodity, you tell that the
one you sold are those you bought at this date). I think this is still
under developpement.

(2) Another way of doing it is to keep separate accounts for the financial
value and the count of commodities, but this is not the way the accounting
management of gnucash is designed.

So the answer is "wait and hope";-)

--
Fabien COELHO   _____   fabien at coelho.net   _____   http://www.coelho.net