First stab at gnucash-docs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 13 13:18:53 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > I think it depends on the "external site".  I think it's ok to link to
> > gnucash.org.  I dont think we should link to other sites.
>
> Okay, so that means I should remove links to the sourceforge mirror
> and the page which explains the various methods of linux software
> packaging. Done.

Oh, didn't think about the SF mirror.  That's a reasonable place
to point people for where to download the software...  sorry, I forgot
about that.  That can stay.

> Hmmm... I wonder if we might not want to include those sites, but
> rather than making them clickable links, simply put them in as text.
> If people want to follow the link they would have to cut/paste into
> mozilla or something.  Waddaya think?

*shrugs*

> >>2) Can someone send me the information on how to install GnuCash on a
> >>Debian-esque system?  (ie: apt, .deb, etc)
> > "apt-get install gnucash"
>
> And that will always get the latest stable version?  Wow... easy.
> What other major distributions use apt besides Debian?  Anyone know?

MacOS-X uses fink, which is apt-like.

> >>3) Besides linux, what other systems do we support?  I'm guessing at
> >>least *BSD, so does anyone know how to install GnuCash using the *BSD
> >>ports system?
> > What's your definition of "support"?  If you mean "it's been
> > successfully built on..." you can include MacOS-X, Solaris, and IRIX
> > to the list.
> >

> Yeah, I see the list of platforms on the web page now.  So, the
> installation instructions for non-linux UNIces and MacOS-X would be to
> compile from source?  I notice that there is a pre-compiled IRIX
> binary on gnucash.org... version 1.4.9.  I don't think we want to
> recommend that option.  :)

Well, MaxOS-X is use "fink install gnucash"...
The various BSDs use ports
Solaris, Irix, etc. are "download and build from source"

I honestly don't think we need to go into too much detail here.  Just
point at the README file.  Users need to know how to use their own
OSes -- it's not our job to teach them.