First stab at gnucash-docs

Dan Means dkmeans at srsconsulting.net
Fri Jun 13 10:58:35 CDT 2003

PMJIH -- but I'd agree that more instruction on installation is really
needed. I worked hard to get gnucash running, and fell back to my Red Hat
distro disks... I'm a reasonably technical person (newbie on Linux) so a lot
of the little "config" and "make" and dependency stuff is not so bad once
you've done a few compiles, but the point of having the application is to
use it, and not to just have fun playing with compiles and downloading
various obscure libraries...

There's a common problem in all the Linux packages I've been using /
installing -- the docs say things like "Oh, just make a sym link to the
library" ...the false assumption that is so common is that the user actually
is a very experienced O/S user who just "knows" this stuff.

While I'll agree that you can't teach everybody their O/S, you should at
least have some rudimentary instruction for a few common distros... or at
least there should be some deep FAQ's / Wiki to look stuff up.