ANNOUNCE: QOF the query object framework

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Sun Jun 15 14:20:22 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 09:34, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just started the QOF "Query Object Framework" project on
> sourceforge.  QOF consists of that part of the GnuCash engine
> that isn't about accounting.  I started the project because
> I want to use the GnuCash query framework in another project
> of mine (GnoTime), and after thinking about it a bit, it seemed
> good to split it out into its own component.
>
> QOF consists of Derek Atkin's Query objects, Rob Browning's
> KVP trees, Bill Gribble's Numeric classes, Dave Peticolas'
> GUID's & events, and my own fractured Backend, books, & sessions.
> For now, I plan to keep the code in sync with GnuCash by hand.
> I'm not sure how things will play out in the future; I have
> no immediate plans.
>
> The really big deal in QOF is the query framework.  I think its
> unique: there is no code out there that I can google that provides
> generic structured query functions for generic objects, without
> forcing you to use SQL.  I think QOF can fill an important need
> for programmers who write apps that need to have reports, and
> are sophisticated enough to realize they need queries, and yet
> are not ready to convert thier app to an SQL app.

I suspect you have not looked at GNU Enterprise Common.  It has drivers
built in primarly for SQL databases, but is not in any way shape or form
limited to only SQL backends.  (I believe there is ascii file and xml
file drivers already)

I suspect someone with decent knowledge of GNUCash could make a gnucash
database driver fairly quickly (matter of days)

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
derek at gnue.org