ANNOUNCE: QOF the query object framework

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Tue Jun 17 01:20:31 CDT 2003

Hi Dan,

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 06:13:39PM -0700, Dan Means was heard to remark:
> Hello..
>
> So, if one wanted to volunteer to help out, what do we need to do?

Download qof-0.1.tar.gz and see if you even like the thing.
I just added an example program that shows how to use the query
object.  (Derek, should I copy this example back into gnucash
somewhere? where?)

One of the earlier steps probably has to be to clean up the naming
conventions.  We need to hash this out on gnucash-devel at gnucash.org.

I'd like to agree on a consistent naming convention for subroutines,
objects, tokens, etc. and slowly move to that.  For the QOF functions,
it might even make sense to rename them with a qof prefix.  Derek?
Anyone?

Something that I think would be nice to have would be a prser to
convert from a 'QOF query language' to the actual query: e.g.
something to parse things like

SELECT Memo from gncTransaction WHERE gncTransaction.date_posted=030303;

Or something like that.  But there are many interesting directions one
could go in.

> I updated my "resume" on the sourceforge site, but I have a lot of
> experience with accounting systems in general, and database driven /
> source applications specifically.

I have this vague daydream of inegrating the work I did for 'dwi'
(Data With Interaction, which hooks glade directly to sql) with
qof.  But that's for some future date.

> Down low, I prefer database layers, and reporting engines more than
> interface / transaction layer stuff....

Not sure what that means.

> I make my living doing this with commercial packages, but I see open
> source as a longer term opportunity for me and my clients....

OK, just be sure not to succumb to the urge to violate the GPL ...

--linas

p.s. I plan to keep all qof discussions on gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
until such that that people get sick of it.