chapter 3 tutorial and guide

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Tue Jun 17 19:41:38 CDT 2003

A few comments on chapter 3 of the tutorial and guide, "organizing your
accounts".

When I first read the chapter I found it to be a little confusing.  It
begins with a comparison of balance sheet accounting as compared to
categories.  Comparing the GnuCash way with the Quicken way (I guess).

I think it would be cleaner if instead we presented the GnuCash
recommended way first, and then compared it to other methods later (the
compoarison of accounts and categories).  Heck, maybe a separate
chapter.  It seems a bit less convoluted that way... to me.

Basically, this would just mean inverting the order of section 3.1 and
3.2 and changing the introduction a little.

Thoughts?

Do we really want to push the idea that it is *possible* to set GnuCash
up "the quicken way" with 2 main categories, income and expenses?  Since
  the reports heavily depend on the main 5 account types being present...

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil