sqlite file format, anyone?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 22 15:49:40 CDT 2003

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> OK, what I was thinking of was more along the lines of having something like:
>
> static LoadObjectDef setters[] = {
>     { ACCOUNT_NAME_, LOAD_STRING, (Setter)xaccAccountSetName },
>     { ACCOUNT_DESCRIPTION_, LOAD_STRING, (Setter)xaccAccountSetDescription },
>     { ACCOUNT_NOTES_, LOAD_STRING, (Setter)xaccAccountSetNotes },
> };

Ahh, I see what you mean here.  I don't think I want the "load-string"
per se, but adding a "setter" to the object definition would be a
reasonable first step.

> so that one could write a routine that automatically loops over all of these
> and for every field in an SQL table, called the corresponding setter.
> In other words, a generic object fetcher.
>
> > Perhaps I should re-kindle the RPC Backend ;)
>
> I'm not sure I understand. (I'm not sure I want to). Aren't you just
> pushing the problem to a different place?  If one client deleted a
> split, another client that's still holding the old split needs to be
> able to figure out that it's copy is old, and, at some point, trash
> it as well.  You shouldn't have to move megabytes of data across a
> wire just to delete one split.

No, I'm not pushing the problem to a different place.  I'm trying to
make the problem easier to handle.  If we have a gnucashd sitting
between the client and the database then we can abstract the event
handling and get a real-time notification of deletions.  The client
can get the <GNC_EVENT_DESTROY, Split: GUID> event in real-time and
know that someone else destroyed the object.

You're right, you don't need megabytes of data to just delete one
split.  However a real-time event is not megabytes of data.