sqlite file format, anyone?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 23 14:42:02 CDT 2003

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> There is no requirement for 'real time'.  If you are casually using
> gnucash, sooner or later you'll hit the sql db and get the event.
> If you want to watch exactly what the other person is typing, then you
> should use VNC not gnucash.

Well, by real-time I meant something like: user A has a register open,
user B changes the name of an account, user A should get a
notification of the change before they actually need to perform a
query.

> > Ok, this implies we cannot do multi-user on MySQL
>
> You can't do multi-user with MySQL because of the problems with locking,
> and because I'm pretty sure that 'real' multi-user installations will
> need the balance checkpointing which needs stored proceedures.  You can
> probably work around the events issue by sticking them in a table, and
> polling that table.

I am still not coninvinced there is any locking problem here.  Also,
as I mentioned earlier the balance checkpointing should be changed to
tie into Periods and we should scrap the stored procedures completely
on all platforms.  The current checkpointing is inherently flawed,
IMHO.

Speaking of which -- how goes the Lot interface and Periods?  Any
progress?

> I think its more important to get a small, fast, simple embedded-MySQL
> backend at this point than it is to tackle, again, the multi-user issues.

Agreed, but we still need Lot and Period support in order to work
around the balance checkpoint issues.