sqlite file format, anyone?

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Mon Jun 23 15:49:37 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 12:25:45PM -0700, Derek Neighbors was heard to remark:
> In a multi-user system why on earth would you want to lock a table, much
> less multiple tables at a time?  I would suspect that as a serious design
> flaw.

Hi Derek,
Long time no see, good to hear from you even if it is by way of lobbing
a bomb onto the list.

A gnucash 'transaction' consists of multiple 'splits'  whose 'value'
must always exactly sum to zero.  Each split is a separate row in the
split table.  The locks prevent one user from modifying a split while
another is deleting it. (for example).  The locks are held for extremely
short periods of time, and should introduce almost no contention at all.

--linas