sqlite file format, anyone?

Christopher Browne gnucash at cbbrowne.com
Mon Jun 23 19:21:43 CDT 2003

> Postgres doesn't have an embedded server.  For casual home users I
> don't want to require setting up a Postgres infrastructure.  (note that
> the motivation is to move to a database backend as the primary storage
> mechanism, and relegate XML to an import/export format).

Nor does XFree86.

Nor does GNOME.  Nor does any number of other system components.

It seems no more reasonable to expect that casual home users have to:

 - Run mke2fs, or whatever else is involved in setting up filesystems;
 - Run whatever frightening incantations are involved in getting X
   working.

And the notion that PostgreSQL doesn't have an "embedded server" is just
not true, unless you're hung up on trying to force there to be just one
OS process.

mkdir("~/GnuCash/DB");
system("initdb -d ~/GnuCash/DB");
[dribble a few changes into ~/GnuCash/DB/{pg_hba|postgres}.conf,
   notably turning on TCP/IP, picking a port #, probably not too
   much else...]
system("pg_ctl -D ~/GnuCash/DB start");

That may require having multiple processes around, but I absolutely
reject that this represents any sort of "problem" worthy of "solving."
Linux is a Unix-like system, and does a perfectly good job of managing
any reasonable number of concurrent processes, and even quite
_un_reasonable numbers thereof.

I seriously doubt that any "embedded DBMS" would offer anything that
would _truly_ be smaller or simpler to work with.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxxian.html