sqlite file format, anyone?

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Sun Jun 29 10:41:32 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 20:02, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> I like the libdbi idea, to a point.  Postgresql and other capable
> databases do provide event notification APIs that are not available in
> lesser- or barely-DBMS systems such as MySQL.  Those APIs are not
> available through libdbi, and therefore a way to work around the lack
> would be required.  Not an impossible task--just something to keep in
> mind.  There are other multi-user considerations, of course, but those
> can be enumerated at another time.

This might be a silly question, but have you considered Firebird?  I
know that the original Interbase Database from Borland had one of the
best embedded databases available a few years ago.  I am not certain
that when they opened the code and Firebird was birthed that they kept
that embedded side, but I am pretty sure the footprint of Firebird is
rather tiny for its robust feature set.

There might be licensing conflicts depending on all the pieces involved
(i.e. I don't recall the firebird license), but it would be worth
looking into.

I still think Chris Browne has some valid points about "faking" an
embedded postgres.  I think currently the group is just not willing to
look past the immediate trees to see the forest.  A good deal of this
stems from the fact that the needs of a "Quicken" replacement is vastly
different in philosophy than what is necessary for a small business
accounting system.  Trying to make one source tree use the same
'requirements' and 'philosophy' for two vastly different problem domains
makes things difficult.  This said from the outside looking in....

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
derek at gnue.org