exiting from gnome

Kevin Benton kevinb at bentonfam.org
Mon Mar 10 09:08:02 CST 2003

Those are good ideas.  One other thing we could do is to have GNUCash
continuously update its files (database) on the fly and leave them in a
state where a kill would not be catastrophic.  Quicken seems to do the
same thing.  I think we should be able to handle a ctl-alt-backspace, or
worse, a power failure with at worst, the transaction being entered in
jeopardy.  During imports, a method must be devised to allow it to know
whether or not to back out changes after restoring power (Tim's method
below seems applicable).  Of course, one other reliable method is to
periodically back up the files (Quicken does this every n exits - mine's
set to 3).  That way, I get a "known good" backup from time to time.
Then, at worst, my data entry is limited to restoring to that last known
good, often no more than three days ago.  With online banking, it makes
the job pretty easy to go back a few days.  It seems to me that we're
just talking about a good disaster recovery method.

Kevin Benton <kevinb at bentonfam.org>