exiting from gnome

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 10 11:29:53 CST 2003

Well, another option that we discussed on #gnucash last night
was an autosave file _to a different filename_ -- ALA emacs'
autosave.  This file gets auto-written periodically as you make
changes to the data.  If you've made no changes, then nothing gets
written.  When you "save", the autosave file gets removed.

When you run gnucash, if it finds such an autosave file it would ask
the user "load from autosave?" -- similarly to what emacs does.

This is probably slightly easier than reading log files, and will
handle data _other_ that just transactional changes....  However
we would need to be careful about this -- it should only happen for
_some_ backends (i.e. only the File Backend).  Perhaps that means
we need an extension to the Backend API to add an 'autosave()' api?

If someone who really wants autosave wants to donate code...........

-derek