building gnucash on cygwin (almost there, I think)

Ivan D. Middleton idmiddle at umich.edu
Sat May 10 15:39:40 CDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Ivan Middleton <ivan_middleton at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > However, I have already had some good successes which lead me to
> > believe that I'm almost there.  First off, I succeeded in
> performing a
> > complete build with static libraries only.  (This seems to happen
> by
>
> Cool.  I don't think it will work with static libraries, but
> I suspect you already figured that out.

Yup, it doesn't work with static libraries.  I have my fingers crossed as
to whether it will even work with shared libraries on cygwin.

> > default on Cygwin: you need the -no-undefined flag to get libtool
> > build shared libraries.)  In order to get things to build, I had to
> > disable Guppi and ignore an issue with scanf not having `long long'
> > conversion support.  I also had to fix some other very minor
> problems.
> > (The Guppi and scanf issues are probably not too hard to fix later.
>
> > Apparently, `long long' support for scanf has already been
> contributed
> > to newlib, but doesn't seem to be present in Cygwin yet.)
>
> I suspect that the lack of long long support might be a problem
> eventually...

I can see that long long support is expected in a few places in the code,
but I don't know how critical it is.

> > The reason I haven't finished (and I was afraid of it all along) is
> > that there seems to be a cycle in the dependency graph, i.e., two
> > libraries which each depend on the other.  Namely, the library
> > `src/app-file/libgncmod-app-file.la' needs the symbols
> > `gnc_history_add_file', `gnc_history_get_last', and
> `gnc_file_dialog'
> > from the library `src/app-file/gnome/libgnc-app-file-gnome.la'; and
> > conversely, the latter library needs `gnc_file_open_file' from the
> > former.  Interestingly enough, on my linux installation of gnucash
> > 1.8.2 (the same version as I'm trying to build on cygwin), running
> > `ldd' on `libgnc-app-file-gnome.so' reveals no dependence on
> > `libgncmod-app-file.so'.  Strange.
>
> Can you file a bug report at bugzilla.gnome.org about this?  There
> shouldn't be any dependencies.  Please feel free to also submit a
> patch to move functions around to fix the dependency.

I've submitted a bug report.  Since I haven't yet done any hacking at all
on the gnucash code proper and am not familiar with its structure, I'll
wait for someone to tell me the right way to fix it.  If I get impatient,
then maybe I'll start hacking. :)

Ivan