Translation po file questions

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Sun May 11 13:12:42 CDT 2003

Hello everyone-

I've been working on the po/pt_BR.po file and have accumulated a number
of questions.  These are probably FAQs... but I couldn't find answers to
them anywhere else.  If anyone could give me a nudge in the right
direction, I would appreciate it.

1) The po/pt_BR.po file in the current CVS has: "POT-Creation-Date:
2002-11-13 23:49+0100\n".  Is this pathetically out of date?  Should I
recreate this file somehow?  Are the po files automatically updated with
some master po file, or is it the responsibility of the translator?

2) How do I locate the place in the gnucash source code where a text
chunk is to be translated.  For exemple, in the current CVS version of
po/pt_BR.po I see this:

# src/gnome/window-register.c:866 src/gnome/window-register.c:1457
# src/gnome/window-register.c:1638
#: src/gnome/glade/register.glade.h:33
msgid "Move to the blank transaction at the bottom of the register"
msgstr "Ir para a transação em branco no final do registo"

I do not see the text in window-register.c anywhere, and I do not have a
register.glade.h file.  Maybe this is a just a symptom of the
"POT-Creation-Date" being very out of date?

3) How do I translate stuff that looks like this?  I'm guessing this is
some sort of formatting code?
msgid "%P %%"

If it is standard C fomatting code, "%P" is used to format pointers... I
guess I just translate this as "%P %%" and not think too much about it?

4) What does the underscore mean, in msgids like this:
msgid "Chec_k & Repair"

I'm assuming the underscore defines the shortcut key (press "k" in this
example), the portuguese translation of this is "Verificar & Corrigir",
which does not have a "k".  Can I simply choose some other letter?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil